The Griot Competition is now open. Submit your story for a chance to win.
The purpose of the Griot African Storytellers Competition is to encourage the preservation and celebration of African culture. The theme of the competition is ‘Horror.’
Applicants must be African, and may be located anywhere in the world. Applicants must not be authors of an already published novel.
- Entries should be submitted here.
- Stories must be set in an African context.
- Stories must be typed in English with a word count of between 1500 to 3500 words.
- The works submitted must be original and unpublished. They must not be simultaneously submitted elsewhere.
- Include author name, African country you identify with, and current country of residence.
- Assume the audience is 18 years and up.
- Entry fee is $5 per submission.
- Only submit .doc, .docx, or .pdf files
Applicants will be judged on originality, comprehensibility of structure, incorporation of African culture, and adherence to the theme. Entries will be judged by a panel of literary experts.
First prize – $500
Second prize – $300
Third Prize – $100
The top 10 entries will be published in a book as a collection by Squinti Publishing. Copyright of the top ten accepted stories becomes property of Squinti Publishing. The authors will receive royalties from sales of the book.
The deadline for submissions is 12 noon Nairobi time on April 30, 2022.
Winners will be announced on June 30, 2022. The book will be published by August 2022.
The book of top 10 winners from the “Adventure” competition was published in 2021.